CVD Project: More than 32,000 screened for diabetes in Davao Region since 2014

 © Handicap International

An active barangay health worker monitors the blood pressure of a elderly patient in Mati City, one of the project’s intervention areas. Blood pressure monitoring is an integral part of diabetes and hypertension screening. © Handicap International

DAVAO CITY – More than 32,000 residents were screened for diabetes-related risks using the CVD (Cardiovascular Diseases) Project’s risk assessment tool in their intervention areas within the Davao Region since 2014.

According to data gathered from the Davao City Health Office and various municipal health centers in the region, around 18,000 or 55% among them were from Davao City while the remaining 45% or about 14,000 people were residents from the remaining seven intervention areas of the project.

Meanwhile, more than 15,800 persons have also been screened for risks related to hypertension in all intervention areas. Both figures together went beyond the project’s target of screening 10,000 persons for both non-communicable diseases in the said period.

Funded by the World Diabetes Foundation (WDF), the CVD Project aims to provide screening services on diabetes and hypertension to at least 20,000 persons; screening of at least 5,000 patients with diabetes for foot complications and treatment of at least 1,000 patients with diabetes with foot complications.

CVD Project trainers attend WDF fellowship in Bangkok

To further strengthen the training capacity of the project, two of its trainers have been selected by the WDF to participate in its Peer Programme Fellowship at the Theptarin Hospital in Bangkok, Thailand from March 2-29, 2015.

CVD Training Officer Mae Hazel Calimbas and Jefrey Cubero, CVD Program Coordinator of the Davao del Sur Provincial Hospital, immersed in the fellowship’s series of activities that intend to take measures against unaddressed areas or gaps within diabetes care and prevention in WDF-funded projects, strengthen diabetes expertise, and facilitate the exchange of ideas and approaches among partners.

The WDF Peer Programme fellowships aim to support capacity-building related to diabetes care and prevention, particularly from countries with an ongoing WDF project.

###